An ice cream sandwich is a frozen confection composed of a layer of ice cream sandwiched between two biscuits/cookies or slices of cake. Can we make it at home? Of course we can!
What shall we prepare for?
1/2 cup (about 113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup (about 100 grams) white granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (Oh, I like vanilla, you can choose any flavor as you like)
1/2 cup (about 65 grams) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (about 25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups (2 pints) (about 950 ml) Ice Cream (we can make it with an ice cream machine), slightly softened
Let us begin!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.
- Chop up your butter and microwave it for 30 seconds to a minute. Alternatively, melt it over low heat on the stove. Stir stir stir, to make sure all of the butter is melted, but not boiling.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer s-et on medium speed until light and fluffy. Whisk in the egg and vanilla extract. Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and stir until combined and smooth.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. This is made easier by use of an offse-t spatula. Bake for about 10 minutes turning the pan around halfway through cooking, so one side does not get more brown than the other. The cake is done when it is dry to the touch and the edges just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Gently lift the cake onto a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut the cake in half crosswise. Place one half of the cake, top side down, on a large piece of plastic wrap. Spread with the slightly softened ice cream, smoothing with a spatula. Then, top with the remaining half of cake. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in the freezer until firm, about two hours or overnight if you have a will made of steel.
- When the sandwiches have s-et up, remove the freezer, unwrap, and with a serrated knife, cut into rectangles or squares. Or get a cookie cutter and cut them into fun shapes! Now, enjoy!