In Cuba, ice cream is sold at the state-run Coppelia chain of ice cream parlors. Coppelia was founded in 1966 by Fidel Castro, a Cuban politician and revolutionary who served as Prime Minister of Cuba from 1959 to 1976, and President from 1976 to 2008, his aim to introduce his love of dairy products to the Cuban masses and to prove that a communist enterprise could provide better ice cream and flavor selection than American brands. In Havana the capital, the Coppelia parlor is an architectural icon and a major landmark and meeting place in the city.
Havana’s Coppelia building is one of the largest ice cream parlors in the world. Holding 1000 guests, it is located on the part of Calle 23 known as La Rampa in the Vedado district, and the flying-saucer-shaped building and lot occupies the entire city block between Calles 23 and 21, and Calles K and L. Coppelia has been a major city landmark for both locals and visitors since its opening in 1966, but acquired additional fame when it was featured in one of the most widely viewed Cuban films”Strawberry and Chocolate”.